Sunday, April 22, 2012

Poem: Op-a-le-scent

I dreamed in op-a-le-scent green 
But only because
I liked how that word slurred milky from my hummingbird tongue
And not because
I actually dreamed
In the shade of the dragons
Perched in the window of the Chinese shop downtown
I always thought
The gold-dipped claws were a cheap touch to a perfect, roughhewn thing
My first perfume
My mother's  old scent
From a plastic stick pulled free from beneath eyelash curlers with long cold handles
Smelled of man-da-rin oranges
But not really
It was just that I hoped it did
So when the other kids asked with voices like a tetanus shot
Why I smelled so strange
I could tell them in in-dig-nant and righ-teous tones
That I smelled of man-da-rin
And their eyes would pop wide like flowers the day before they start to fade
And I would pull my lashes down low with sweet mystery
And bask in the elegance of my exotic tastes.
My parents were never angry
They were FU-ri-ous
And I was never sad
But des-PON-dent
And the sky was never gray
So much as a color shared with the underbellies of doves
I'd visit my grandmother
And kneel in church
On the benches I wished the Catholics would share with the rest of us God-fearers
Thought that I'd never heard of anything so beautiful as "Holy Water"
Prayed my eyes would open up a-qua-ma-rine
in-di-go
like a torturous sea
or the wall of a storm.
I wished away the simple sweetness of common words
Family words, home words
On syllables that twisted between my teeth like ribbons
Like ma-ri-o-nettes 
Had no time for forest
musk
gray
or blue
And everything blue means.

3.23.12
12:30 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment