Sunday, February 5, 2012

Poem I: Snowfall in the Pueblo

I was there
At 8:30 AM, when the streetlights went dark
And their ambrosia flicker fled the byways
At 8:30 AM, when the village may have been empty of souls
For its silence-
Just walls of stucco and wood frame
In intent conversation with the echo and splash
Of my footfalls.
Snow was falling, in that determined way
That snow falls when the season has robbed it of rightful storms
And the vineyards sat in stoic wedding gowns
The texture of turned up rocks and frozen soil
In wait for their green-fitted bridegroom
A pale bride under the vaulted and steel-eyed sky
Whose train and veil extend beyond the hilltop,
I'm sure,
Perhaps all the way to the sea
To St. Petersburg
To wind-painted oceans of sand.
Silence at 8:30 AM
When I walked the mud-slick back-path
The water-slick backstreets
The dangerous glisten of murderous, winking cobblestones
Smoothed down to pavement by such winters
And the fountain muttering incantations between drops
Charms against ice and shattered pipes
A dog barked
A formless dog of dawn
Looking out from behind warm panes of glass
Or stealing beneath the bridge, a picture of neglect- freedom as well
Which is not always such a comfortable path
When winter comes.
I will never know if he barked at me-
To get my foolish feet indoors, my shoulders beneath blankets
To walk some more, a harsh and throaty bell of affirmation
Or maybe just at the snowfall
To break the strange and desperate quiet of it.
I finally turned for home
And thought a heatless world better than a heatless apartment
Picked a flower
Conducted the low-flying birds in their brave northern symphony
And thought
For a moment
Of introducing sound to the furrows and stone of the fields
"Don't you see this is winter's proudest day?"
When the bride blooms
Her earthy skin will be all the warmer.

9 AM
2.5.12

No comments:

Post a Comment